Average Cost of Furnace Replacement in Virginia Beach

Furnace Installation & Replacement Throughout VA Beach

If the furnace in your Virginia Beach home isn’t cutting it anymore, it may be time for an HVAC replacement. You’re probably nervous about how much new equipment will cost, and the precise amount you’ll end up paying can depends on several factors. Learn more about what affects the average cost of furnace replacement so you can make a cost-effective choice for your home.

Furnace Fuel Type

Your first decision involves selecting a fuel choice. Your options include:

  • Natural gas: This is the most popular fuel source for furnaces today. It provides the most efficient operation for lower energy bills.
  • Oil: This fuel is more widely available in some states than natural gas, but the equipment costs about the same while delivering less efficient operation in the years to come.
  • Electricity: While electric furnaces usually cost at least 50 percent less to purchase than natural gas or oil furnaces, they come with high energy costs. If electricity is your preferred fuel type, consider a heat pump instead.

Furnace Size

Correctly sizing a furnace is an important part of HVAC replacement. The correct size ensures optimal comfort, energy efficiency and system longevity. Don’t assume that your replacement furnace should be the same size as your old one. After all, the original equipment might not have been sized correctly, and even if it was, any home improvements you’ve made since it was installed could affect your home’s heating requirements.

Obviously, larger furnaces cost more than smaller ones. If you have a larger home with more substantial heating requirements, you can expect your HVAC replacement to cost more.

Furnace Efficiency

Another important consideration is efficiency. The minimum efficiency required for newly manufactured equipment is 80 Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, or AFUE. This means 80 percent of the fuel source is converted into heat for your home while the remaining 20 percent is lost up the flue with combustion fumes.

You can opt for a furnace that meets the minimum efficiency requirement, but your energy bills will be higher for the next decade or longer that your furnace is in service. Investing in a 90 AFUE or higher furnace costs more upfront, but the energy savings every month are usually worth the extra investment.

Work with a contractor to help determine the payback period of a more efficient furnace. If it’s less than 10 years, the higher initial purchase price is worth it.

Labor Costs to Replace a Furnace

Finally, consider that your furnace requires installation performed by a knowledgeable professional. This means you must take labor costs into account. The price varies between companies and may be a set fee or an hourly rate. Costs may run higher than usual if your ductwork requires extensive repairs or modifications.

If you’re still concerned about the cost of HVAC replacement or how to choose the right equipment for your home, rest assured a knowledgeable contractor can recommend the best furnace size, brand and efficiency depending on your family’s comfort needs.

To learn more about making a cost-effective HVAC replacement in the Virginia Beach or Newport News, VA areas, contact us today!


3 reasons to choose american mechanical

  • Trusted, Licensed & Insured

    Our priorities have remained the same for nearly 30 years - to bring honesty, quality and fairness to the industry.

  • Same-Day Emergency Services

    Hate waiting? Us too! That's why we do our best to provide same-day appointments for emergency repairs.

  • Quality Work Guaranteed

    We stand by our work and guarantee professional, quality service, and workmanship with every job.

Let's get started

Call 757-347-8549 or use our contact form.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.